Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 3

"Say the truth," you whisper, "Tell me that you're tempted."

Let those words escape my lips, I was unsure. The fall looked dangerous and sent a slight shiver up my back. Although there was clearly water beneath this cliff we straddled, there were also rocks. Sharp and jagged.

"Jump with me," you say. A large smile on your face as you begin to undress. I was still unsure. The thought releasing a fleet of butterflies into my stomach. "Come on," you plead as you pull down your skirt.

I am frozen. Torn. Jump with you and risk it, as I did so often with you, or walk back to the car and meet you down by the beach. I had to admit you brought flare to my life as I watch you walk towards the edge and peer over, giggling.

You reach out to me, your eyes fixed on mine. "Jump," the word seemed to slip off of your tongue and dance into my ear. Without thinking I began to undress. My mind spinning as I shakily breathe in the humid air. Your smile only widened, your eyes fixing on the water below, but your hand staying in place. Beckoning me.

I grab it eagerly, our eyes meeting. "Ready?" you breathe. I only nod and we jump. The air rushing past us, our feet searching for ground, screams escaping our throats and reaching for the heavens.

This, my friend, is life.

No comments: