Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 1

Take One


She held on to her deep blue blouse, it was her favourite. The tears running down her face seemed to never stop as I stood in the doorway. Laura stopped for a second, her shoulders bouncing with the inaudible sobs escaping her throat. She had shouted it from the very depths within her, shaking the entire house. "I hate you."

After everything Laura was sure that this was it. And I stood in the doorway watching her pack her bags. Unsure of what to do next. My mind said plead, my heart said cry and hold her close, and my body said stay as still as possible and hope she changes her mind.

The pile in the middle of our bed was of her clothes and belongings. Our bed shared for three years. And now it was covered in her things being thrown into a few beat-up suitcases.
I finally stepped into the room, her back still towards me.

"Don't you try to stop me," she said in that crying voice. I stood still again, my hand slightly raising. How I ached to touch her, to make this whole thing go away with our bodies intertwined on our bed. Oh how I loved her, even the smell of the lavender perfume she wore got me excited.

How could we fight this way when we had such love? How could we break each other when had such desire? The questions swimming in my head seemed never ending. "Plea - Please stay," I muttered. She turned towards me,
her face was smeared with tears and the look in her eyes was empty.

"I don't love you anymore," she said bitterly. "You ruined that for me. Robbed me of what we were!"

"We can fix this," and even as the words left my lips I felt the lie dominate the room. The elephant was there and Laura's eyes were fixed on it.

She turned away quickly, shoving her things in her bag, and crying furiously. She mumbled under her breath, "Fuck you" several times before shoving me aside and heading to the door. "I love you, Laura!" I shouted as I followed her.

She opened the door, looking straight into my eyes, "Don't you lie to me. I'm sorry, I can't love you."

The door closed.
The smell faded.
The time passed.

No comments: