Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 9

Anna Minulle Arvoitus

"I am happy beyond all reason," she sings. "I am tempted beyond what man comprehends. I am infinite in intelligence. I am bold, I am kind, I am strange, I am normal, I am gentle, and I am rough. What am I?"

The hall was narrow and Kustaa's eyes struggled to see through the darkness. "You are wise?" he asked with uncertainty.

"I am infinite in intelligence," sang back the darkness.

Kustaa's armor was heavy, his helmet almost covering his eyes completely, not that it mattered in the black filled narrowness. He moved forward, his heavy burden clanking loudly. The growl from the distance was clear, 'Don't come any closer.'

Kustaa froze, looking back the way he came. Certainly his comrades could help him solve the puzzle. Dare he try? He licked his lips, tasting the thick sweat which dripped from his face. He just wanted to trek through, was that so wrong?

He looked around the emptiness for anything. A rock out of place, some sort of movement, a clue...anything! He moved forward a bit, the growling getting deeper and louder. Almost seeming to come closer to him.

His teeth began to chatter as a cold breeze passed through. Tired, he turned to leave. Standing in one place for three hours wasn't a part of his plans.

"No," sang the womanly voice. "You shall stay. You shall answer. Or you shall perish."

No comments: